PICS faculty members and students have won a number of awards and honors during the 2019 semester.
- In a banner year, Igor Bargatin, Class of 1965 Term Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, received the 2019 NSF CAREER Award & The S. Reid Warren, Jr., Award
- Vivek Shenoy was the 2019 Recipient of the George H. Heilmeier Faculty Award for Excellence in Research for his talk was titled, “Cell-Matrix Interactions in Cancer and Fibrosis: Multiscale Chemo-Mechanical Models”
- Robert Carpick, John Henry Towne Professor and Chair of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, was selected as a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Amish Patel, Reliance Industries Term Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, has been selected to receive the 2019 Van Ness Award by the Chemical and Biological Engineering Department at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI). “Patel’s research focuses on understanding aqueous and polymeric systems at the molecular level. His lab’s work on biochemical interactions between liquids and surfaces has applications that include water purification and energy storage. Patel’s research has also earned him a 2017 NSF CAREER Award and a 2018 OpenEye Outstanding Junior Faculty Award.“
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Board of Governors unanimously selected Portonovo Ayyaswamy, Professor Emeritus Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics (MEAM), as an Honorary Member of ASME.
In news regarding PICS students:
- Radhakrishnan lab member Alokendra Ghosh (PhD student) presented at the prestigious Gordon on conference for physics of cancer and also won two other travel awards from NIH to present his work at National meetings
- Former Radhakrishnan lab member Jeremy Purvis received tenure and was promoted to associate professor at UNC Chapel Hill
- Radhakrishnan Lab member Ololade Fatunmbi (postdoc) chaired the session on Membranes and Channels in the 63rd Annual Biophysical Society meeting.
- Rob Riggleman lab member Robert Ivancic had a paper accepted in Soft Matter titled, “Identifying structural signatures of shear banding in model polymer nanopillars.”
- Jennifer Phillips-Cremins lab member, Thomas Gilgenast’s paper on statistical methods to call loops in 5C data is now out in Cell Systems.
- Jennifer Phillips-Cremins lab member, Linda Zhou received a F31 NIH grant.