Website North Carolina State University
Join the Pack! A community with nearly 8,000 faculty and staff, and 30,000 students. NC State is one of the largest employers in North Carolina, offering a large range of career opportunities. Visit us at https://jobs.hr.ncsu.edu/.
Department: 170101 – College of Sciences – Dean
Location: Raleigh, NC
Essential Job Duties:
This position will assist researchers in optimal use of the NC State HPC core facility and external HPC facilities (supercomputing centers, cloud). This includes advanced computational science consulting, numerical analysis, mathematical modeling, code development and optimization, software installation, and scientific analysis and visualization.
As part of the Sciences IT research technologies & infrastructure group, this position will engage with other IT staff in the College and central IT service providers including the Libraries and OIT, as well as colleagues in other college IT units to provide stable IT services that meet specific scientific research needs as well as solutions for broader needs in the science community.
In addition, this position will proactively identify unmet needs and emerging solutions. As a valued member of both the IT and science communities, it will serve as an advocate and collaborator with NC State and external service providers to support the College of Sciences’ needs for scientific computing.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Budgeting: Engage with faculty and OIT regarding regarding the specifications and acquisition of new hardware to be added to the NC State HPC core facility. Assists with developing budgets for grants and access to supercomputing resources.
- Training: Creation and delivery of custom training modules or workshops on various research computing topics as requested, focused on skills development for the next generation of researchers in our graduate programs.
- Research: This position supports researchers from all disciplines represented in the College of Sciences, including physics, bioinformatics, genomics, climate, biology and life sciences, toxicology, chemistry, marine, earth and atmospheric sciences as well as the mathematical and statistical sciences.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Require post-baccalaureate credentials or a bachelor’s degree plus alternative or equivalent professional training and experience may be substituted for the advanced degree on an exceptional basis.
- Demonstrated ability to perform scientific analysis and visualization of modeled or measured datasets, with scripting languages (MATLAB, Python, R) and visualization tools (e.g., ParaView, VisIt).
- Understanding of cyberinfrastructure needs common to a wide range of scientific workflows. Ability to identify capabilities and limitations of local scientific computing resources
- Ability to connect researchers with appropriate external resources (XSEDE, DOE, NASA, etc.) and identify cases where use of commercial cloud may be appropriate.
The following items are desirable, but not necessary for consideration for this position:
- Masters or PhD in a computational field within the College of Sciences’ disciplines (i.e. computational physics, chemistry, biological sciences, mathematics, statistics, marine, earth & atmospheric sciences/earth systems)
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in high performance computing, mathematical modeling, and scientific visualization
- Experience estimating and justifying computational resource requests for applications to external high performance computing centers.
Demonstrated abilities to:
- Port, optimize, and parallelize research workflows for running on high performance computing (HPC) resources.
- Use numerical analysis and mathematical techniques to develop and test new algorithms.
- Compile, run, optimize, parallelize, and write additional modules for large scale scientific modeling software – either established community codes or original research code, requiring proficiency in a compiled language (Fortran, C) and parallel programming (MPI, OpenMP).
- Obtain external funding through project proposals, grants, and contracts
Required license or certification:
Position Number: 00101139
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or email@example.com. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.ncsu.edu.